Hope Rescue is a well respected, community focused dog rescue charity based in Llanharan, South Wales. We've got an exciting opportunity for the newly created role of Adoption and Fostering Manager. We're looking for an experienced, hard-working and passionate animal welfare professional to manage our fostering and adoption services, providing an efficient, friendly and customer-focused service to our foster homes and adopters.
Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: up to £22,000 per annum
Location: Hope Rescue Centre, Llanharan, Rhondda Cynon Taf
- Deputise for the Rescue Centre Manager when they are absent.
- Assess dogs arriving at the Centre, identifying any behavioural problems in accordance with Hope Rescue Standard Operating Procedures and processes.
- Line manage the volunteer foster co-ordinator team.
- Develop plans for the recruitment, induction and training of foster homes.
- Support the team of volunteer foster co-odinators in placing suitable dogs in foster homes.
- Provide support to foster carers in preparing their foster dog for adoption.
- Maintain accurate animal records to include admission, adoption, behaviour, financial and veterinary information.
- Monitor the health, welfare and behaviour of dogs resident at the Centre and in foster homes in accordance with Hope Rescue Standard Operating Procedures and processes, identifying any behavioural problems that occur.
- Design and implement remedial training programmes, consistent with Hope Rescue policies, for those dogs requiring such training.
- Train Hope Rescue kennel staff in both providing basic obedience training to all dogs and supporting and implementing remedial training programmes for individual dogs.
- Train and supervise Hope Rescue volunteer dog walkers, providing more intensive training for those who are willing and have the capability, to assist with socialising and training dogs.
- Promote the dogs available for adoption on social media, the website, through press releases and at suitable events.
- Assist customers to select dogs for adoption appropriate to their circumstances by providing accurate and relevant information and advice.
- Provide pre and post-adoption training advice to those adopting Hope Rescue dogs.
- Ensure the achievement of performance targets for the Centre are met whilst delivering a high level of animal welfare and adhering to quality measurements.
- Some occasional kennel duties to include cleaning of accommodation, grooming, feeding, and administration of medication as required.
- Provide out of hours cover on a rota basis for the Animal Welfare Supervisor.
- Comply with Health & Safety policies and procedures in line with Hope Rescue and statutory standards and rules, ensuring the safety of all persons and pets on and off site at all times.
- Deliver an excellent customer experience with a positive motivated attitude.
Education and Qualifications
- Educated to secondary school level.
- Industry recognised behaviour qualification/membership e.g. APDT or IMDT.
- Full manual driving licence and access to a vehicle for work purposes.
- Degree level animal welfare or behaviour qualification.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of behaviour and training within an animal welfare organisation.
- Proven experience of devising, implementing and monitoring programmes to improve dog behavioural problems.
- Proven experience and competency in the appropriate and safe handling techniques for dogs of a fearful or aggressive nature.
- A good knowledge of the scientific principles underlying the development of behaviour in dogs, including learning theory.
- A commitment to continually updating knowledge of evidence-based training and behaviour methods.
- Proven experience of managing volunteers.
- Proven experience of delivering high standards of customer care.
- Comfortable and competent delivering training and seminars to small and large groups.
- Experience of rehoming dogs for an animal welfare organisation.
- Experience of using digital platforms to promote dogs for adoption.
- Experience of providing behavioural and training support to dog owners.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent written skills with the ability to write comprehensive behavioural reports and behavioural modification plans
- Good IT skills with a knowledge of Microsoft packages and willingness to learn Hope Rescue’s CRM systems and databases.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues.
- A strong customer service focus.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- A professional empathy with the Hope Rescue Vision, Mission and Values.
- A self-starter, highly motivated and organised.
- Professional, proactive, positive and enthusiastic, with a strong work ethic and "can do" attitude.
- Capable of handling stressful situations while maintaining a positive demeanour.
- Able to exhibit excellent discretion and adhere to professional standards and confidentiality.
- Ability to work across different departments to ensure a fully joined-up approach.
- Committed to delivering high standards of customer service and be a genuine team player.
- Confident and able to work with little direction but understand the limits of your delegated authority.
Please email your CV to email@example.com or send by post to Hope Rescue, Cynllan Lodge, Old Llanharry Road, Llanharan, CF72 9NH.
Closing date for applications: midnight 9th September 2019